3-Day Smaart Operator Fundamentals, Trondheim 19032628
26/03/2019 - 28/03/2019
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Prerequisites: Course is open to all interested persons – no prior measurement / system alignment experience required. This course does assume a working knowledge of professional sound system engineering practices and basic audio fundamentals.
Accommodation is not included in the price. Basic refreshments are included.
You need to bring:
A laptop with Smaart v8 (demo or licensed) and Dante Virtual Soundcard (demo or licensed) and an Ethernet adapter.
Software: You can download a demo version of Smaart v8 here – http://www.rationalacoustics.com/smaart/demo-smaart/download-smaart-demo/
*Discounts on Smaart licenses (both new and upgrades) are available for class attendees. Class and license pricing may vary for classes offered by authorized Rational Acoustics Partners. If you are attending a class hosted by anyone other than Rational Acoustics, or that is being held outside of the USA, please consult with your class organiser or Thomas @ Rational Acoustics Scandinavia. We'll be happy to assist.
Booking & Payment
To avoid disappointment, please book us as soon as possible with your preferred dates. We will reply promptly to confirm your request. Your booking is to be confirmed by a 100% deposit.
Since we issue certificates for the attendees, individual registration per attendee is required. Please excuse the additional hassle.
You may cancel a booked class more than 30 days prior to the scheduled date and receive a full refund. Cancelling a booked class less than 30 days, but greater than 10 days prior to the first day of the class, the customer shall be entitled to a return of 50% of the original deposit received. If a customer cancels a class less than 10 days, all deposits will be kept by Rational Acoustics Scandinavia / Thomas Züllich.
The class is limited to a maximum of 16 participants. Right now there are 6 places available. Please book quickly to avoid disappointment.
Bookings are closed for this event.
instructor and class details
The Smaart Operator Fundamentals course is open to all interested persons. Prior system alignment experience is not required, but is definitely helpful. This course does assume a working knowledge of professional sound system engineering practices and basic audio fundamentals. If you have any questions concerning course prerequisites, please do not hesitate to contact the listed Smaart instructor prior to registration.
The Smaart Operator Fundamentals covers the fundamentals of setting of a Smaart measurement rig and using Smaart to make basic RTA, Spectrograph, Transfer Function and Impulse Response measurements. Special attention is paid throughout the course to the subject of how to make valid and useful measurements.
This course begins with an overview of both the general system measurement theory involved as well as the operational context in which Smaart is used, namely in Sound System Engineering and Alignment. This course focuses on providing the attendee with a functional knowledge of how Smaart operates as a tool before expanding to the application of that tool in sound system engineering, and as much as possible, examines data interpretation as much as acquisition.
The first day of class are primarily a classroom lecture and lab format, relying heavily on in-class measurements. The second & third day involves a hands-on practicum focusing on the implementation of the information presented in the first days. It presents the use of Smaart in a methodical process of evaluating and adjusting the individual system components, and the subsequent combination of multiple subsystems into a multi-channel / distributed sound system. Throughout this alignment practicum, the session seeks to reinforce the necessary collaboration of measurement and listening skills
The Operator Fundamentals Class provides:
– A fundamental description of the measurement concepts involved in dual-channel FFT based analysis (as used in our industry)
– A systematic breakdown of how they are realized in Smaart measurement software
– A detailed and hands-on (as possible) examination of the requirements for configuring and controlling a Smaart measurement rig.
Topics Covered Include (but not limited to):
– Fundamental Measurement Concepts: Single channel vs. dual-channel measurements / Time domain vs. frequency domain analysis / What the heck is an FFT?
– Smaart Software Overview: Software install/update & upgrade / Measurement Configuration / Measurement control & interface navigation
– Anatomy of a Measurement Rig: Hardware requirements / Standard Configurations / Basic Troubleshooting
– RTA and Spectrograph Measurements: Averaging and Banding / Feedback identification (& other cool things to do with Spectrograph / Calibration for SPL
– Transfer Function Measurements: Magnitude, Phase & Coherence traces: how they are generated and how to read them / Data Thresholding Functions and Improving Measurement Quality / Data Storage and Trace Averaging
– Impulse Response Measurements: Setting up the delay for Transfer Function measurements: Live IR and Delay Tracking / Measuring delay times for speaker system time alignment / Tips for improving IR measurement quality / The Impact of FFT Time Constant (window length) on Measurements
– SPL logging with Smaart & 10Eazy
– Measurement Position Choice and Microphone Placement
– Measurement position selection – choosing our system alignment decision points
– Microphone placement and coping with boundary conditions (e.g. ground bounce)
– Single vs. Multiple position
– Measuring and Tuning an Individual Speaker System
– Determining proper loudspeaker operation – near field measurements
– Evaluating loudspeaker coverage
– Measuring and adjusting speaker response in coverage area
– Extension of Coverage: the Addition of Fill and Delay Systems
– Alignment checklist for each system – Freq. Response, Level, Delay and Polarity
– LTC: Level – Time – Combine, a systematic process for combining systems
– The 5-minute delay: a quick procedure for setting initial delay system parameters
– Subwoofer Mania – The curious issues involved in measuring sub woofers in the “real world”
– Timing the crossover between main systems and subs
– Subwoofer arrays – controlling / steering sub energy
The class will be taught in English. Accommodation is not included in the price. Basic refreshments (coffee, water etc.) are included.
Please bring a laptop with Smaart v8 (demo or licensed) and a 2 channel sound-card.
Discounts on Smaart licenses (both new and upgrades) are available for class attendees.
The current discounted Smaart License pricing for class attendees is as follows:
New License of Smaart v8 – $100 discount* New License of Smaart Di v2 – $50 discount* Upgrade to Smaart v8 or Smaart Di v2 from previous version of Smaart (back to Smaart v5) – $50 discount*
*off of the regular prices – download our pricelist
Please note that the license discounts outlined above are for classes hosted and instructed by Rational Acoustics Scandinavia
You can download a demo version of Smaart v8 here – http://www.rationalacoustics.com/smaart/demo-smaart/download-smaart-demo/
(Disclaimer: Prices on this web site are subject to change without notice)