2-day operator fundamentals, Copenhagen 2018-03-12-13
VEGA – House of Music
1674 Copenhagen V
12/03/2018 - 13/03/2018
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
2-day Smaart operator fundamentals in Copenhagen, Denmark. This class will be hosted by SC-Sound and will be taught by Rasmus Rosenberg.
Class language: Danish
Prerequisites: Course is open to all interested persons – no prior measurement / system alignment experience required. This course does assume a working knowledge of professional sound system engineering practices and basic audio fundamentals.
Class dates are March 12th – 13th 2018
Day 1 is from 10:00am – 6:00pm.
Day 2 is from 10:00am – 6:00pm.
Total cost per participant: 3.500 DKK + VAT (payable to SC-Sound)*
Venue is VEGA – House of Music in Copenhagen, Enghavevej 40
The venue can be reached by car, train or bus, Nearest airport is Copenhagen main airport.
Accommodation is not included in the price. Basic refreshments are of course included. SC Sound would also like to welcome the course attendees to a dinner in the evening on the 12th. Please RSVP with Niels.
You need to bring:
A laptop with Smaart v8 (demo or licensed) and Dante Virtual Soundcard (demo or licensed). Please make sure to have the latest version installed.
Please get in touch with Niels at SC Sound should you want to purchase a discounted SMAART license or update prior to the class. He will be happy to help you with that.
Note from Rasmus:
If you’re using one of those new fancy macbooks without an ethernet port, you´d also need to bring a suitable adapter.
Software: You can download a demo version of Smaart v8 here – http://www.rationalacoustics.com/smaart/demo-smaart/download-smaart-demo/
SC-Sound is also offering a special pricing for updates & full licenses. Please get in contact with Niels Høg for more information.*
Registration: directly via Niels
*Discounts on Smaart licenses (both new and upgrades) are available for class attendees. Class and license pricing may vary for classes offered by authorized Rational Acoustics Partners. If you are attending a class hosted by anyone other than Rational Acoustics, or that is being held outside of the USA, please consult with your class organiser or Thomas @ Rational Acoustics Scandinavia. We'll be happy to assist.
The class is limited to a maximum of 0 participants. Right now there are 0 places available. Please book quickly to avoid disappointment.
Online bookings are not available for this event.
instructor and class details
The Smaart Operator Fundamentals course is open to all interested persons. Prior system alignment experience is not required, but is definitely helpful. This course does assume a working knowledge of professional sound system engineering practices and basic audio fundamentals. If you have any questions concerning course prerequisites, please do not hesitate to contact the listed Smaart instructor prior to registration.
The Smaart Operator Fundamentals covers the fundamentals of setting up a Smaart measurement rig and using Smaart to make basic RTA, Spectrograph, Transfer Function and Impulse Response measurements. Special attention is paid throughout the course to the subject of how to make valid and useful measurements.
This course begins with an overview of both the general system measurement theory involved as well as the operational context in which Smaart is used, namely in Sound System Engineering and Alignment. This course focuses on providing the attendee with a functional knowledge of how Smaart operates as a tool before expanding to the application of that tool in sound system engineering, and as much as possible, examines data interpretation as much as acquisition.
The first day of class are primarily a classroom lecture and lab format, relying heavily on in-class measurements. The second & third day involves a hands-on practicum focusing on the implementation of the information presented in the first days. It presents the use of Smaart in a methodical process of evaluating and adjusting the individual system components, and the subsequent combination of multiple subsystems into a multi-channel / distributed sound system. Throughout this alignment practicum, the session seeks to reinforce the necessary collaboration of measurement and listening skills
The Operator Fundamentals Class provides:
– A fundamental description of the measurement concepts involved in dual-channel FFT based analysis (as used in our industry)
– A systematic breakdown of how they are realized in Smaart measurement software
– A detailed and hands-on (as possible) examination of the requirements for configuring and controlling a Smaart measurement rig.
Topics Covered Include (but not limited to):
– Fundamental Measurement Concepts: Single channel vs. dual-channel measurements / Time domain vs. frequency domain analysis / What the heck is an FFT?
– Smaart Software Overview: Software install/update & upgrade / Measurement Configuration / Measurement control & interface navigation
– Anatomy of a Measurement Rig: Hardware requirements / Standard Configurations / Basic Troubleshooting
– RTA and Spectrograph Measurements: Averaging and Banding / Feedback identification (& other cool things to do with Spectrograph / Calibration for SPL
– Transfer Function Measurements: Magnitude, Phase & Coherence traces: how they are generated and how to read them / Data Thresholding Functions and Improving Measurement Quality / Data Storage and Trace Averaging
– Impulse Response Measurements: Setting up the delay for Transfer Function measurements: Live IR and Delay Tracking / Measuring delay times for speaker system time alignment / Tips for improving IR measurement quality / The Impact of FFT Time Constant (window length) on Measurements
– SPL logging with Smaart & 10Eazy
– Measurement Position Choice and Microphone Placement
– Measurement position selection – choosing our system alignment decision points
– Microphone placement and coping with boundary conditions (e.g. ground bounce)
– Single vs. Multiple position
– Measuring and Tuning an Individual Speaker System
– Determining proper loudspeaker operation – near field measurements
– Evaluating loudspeaker coverage
– Measuring and adjusting speaker response in coverage area
– Extension of Coverage: the Addition of Fill and Delay Systems
– Alignment checklist for each system – Freq. Response, Level, Delay and Polarity
– LTC: Level – Time – Combine, a systematic process for combining systems
– The 5-minute delay: a quick procedure for setting initial delay system parameters
– Subwoofer Mania – The curious issues involved in measuring sub woofers in the “real world”
– Timing the crossover between main systems and subs
– Subwoofer arrays – controlling / steering sub energy
The class will be taught in English. Accommodation is not included in the price. Basic refreshments (coffee, water etc.) are included.
Please bring a laptop with Smaart v8 (demo or licensed) and a 2 channel sound-card.